Friday, March 21, 2014

Chicken + Gnocchi Soup




Alright DIYers, it's time we start cooking some grub up. I've been trying my hand at some new recipes in recent time and came across one that I absolutely love. What is better on a cold, cloudy day than a warm bowl of soup? While living in California we didn't see the rain too often, but every once in a while, a rain dance or two would work and a trip to Olive Garden for all-you-can-eat soup and salad was in store. The Chicken + Gnocchi Soup was always my go-to so when I came across a homemade recipe version, I thought I would try my hand at it. Results: delicious and wonderful even though we were having a sunny day!

For starters, most people either prefer chicken breasts or chicken thighs, I myself preferring the later. If you want to go the simple route, take 3-4 chicken breasts, pan fry them, and then dice them into bite sized pieces. I love chicken thighs though and I love how soft and tender meat gets once you slow cook it so I took 6 thighs and added these with about 5 C of water + salt to the slow cooker. I let that cook on low for about 6 hours so the meat was ready to shred easily once I took them out.

thrilling, I know

Then came time to dice all the veggies and garlic and throw them in a pan to saute (you could save a dish though and do this in the large pot that you'll be eventually cooking the soup in. You'll notice that carrots were omitted because no matter how much they might help my eyesight (which trust me, I could use some help there, but oh well), I just can't stand cooked carrots. Rabbit style and raw? Sure, but ew cooked carrots. So, yeah:

I also cheated, and added 2 T of butter because everything is better with butter

Now in a large pot, add all the veggie/garlic goodies, with your chicken plus your chicken stock, half-and-half, salt, pepper and thyme if you are adding it. Jason has a major aversion to it so I withheld on this recipe (we're a picky bunch if you didn't get that already). Bring all the contents in the pot to a boil then add your gnocchi:

this bad boy

Boil that for about 4 more minutes, then turn down to a simmer and let the mixture sit for another 10 mins. After this time has passed go ahead and add your spinach, either chopped or leaved. I buy organic spinach from Costco and it comes leaved like a salad:

go veg, go green!! 

Let the spinach wilt for 1-2 mins and then get your cornstarch ready. I took 1 T of cornstarch and put it in a mug with 2 T of water. The reason you do this is to break down the cornstarch so you don't get nasty little pockets of it in your soup. Simply beat with a fork and it should break down and create a thickening white mixture. Boil your soup again and add the cornstarch mixture to thicken the soup. At this point I turned off the heat and stirred a while to get that cornstarch to work its magic. After that, you're done!! Like they do at Olive Garden, it always helps to add some fresh shredded Parmesan on top and you've got yourself a soupy masterpiece!

SSSHTEEMY (my attempt at Ace Ventura impersonations womp womp)

Chicken & Gnocchi Soup                                print recipe

3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
OR
5-7 chicken thighs, cooked in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours (on high) or 6-8 hours (on low)
4 C chicken stock
2 C half-and-half
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 carrot, shredded
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C spinach, chopped (or whole leaves)
1 T olive oil
1 tsp thyme
salt + pepper to taste
16 oz potato gnocchi
1 T cornstarch
+Parmesan cheese as garnish

1. If using chicken thighs, place in slow cooker with either salted water or chicken broth (to cover chicken) 
and cook for 4-5 hours (on high) or 6-8 hours (on low)
2. In a large pot, saute  the onion, celery, garlic and carrot in olive oil over medium heat until onion is
 translucent and celery is softened
3. Add chicken, chicken stock, half-and-half, salt + pepper, and thyme to the pot with the vegetables. 
Heat to boiling, then add the gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 mins, then turn down to simmer for 10 mins
4. Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 mins until spinach is wilted
5. Heat to boiling and add cornstarch that has been dissolved in 1-2 T of water
6. Serve and garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese









No comments:

Post a Comment